OHCA Policies and Rules

Search Entire Policy
OHCA Policies and Rules Main Page

317:35-6-45.Eligibility for inmates

[Revised 09-14-2020]

(a) The Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) shall receive applications from and make eligibility determinations for individuals residing in correctional institutions, including juvenile facilities.  However, the SoonerCare program will only pay for services rendered to individuals residing in a correctional institution as specified in Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 317:35-5-26.

(b) In accordance with federal law, including, but not limited to,42 United States Code (U.S.C.) ' 1396a(a)(84), individuals residing in correctional institutions who are under the age of twenty-one (21) or who meet the former foster care child requirements found at OAC 317:35-5-2, shall have their eligibility suspended for the duration of the incarceration period, except for periods of time that inpatient services are provided as specified in OAC 317:35-5-26.

(c) The effective date of the suspension is the calendar day following the date on which an individual described in (b) of this section becomes incarcerated.

(d) A redetermination of eligibility for an individual described in (b) of this section shall be conducted prior to release to determine if the individual continues to meet the eligibility requirements for SoonerCare.  A new application will not be required to redetermine eligibility.

(e) Suspended eligibility shall be restored to the release date after a redetermination of eligibility, when:

(1) The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS), using the release date supplied by the Oklahoma Office of Juvenile Affairs (OJA) or the Oklahoma Department of Corrections (DOC), removes the suspension;

(2) The individual reports his or her release to the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) within ten (10) calendar days of the release date; or

(3) The individual reports his or her release to OHCA more than ten (10) calendar days from the release date, and there is good cause for the delay in reporting.



Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.