OHCA Policies and Rules

Search Entire Policy
OHCA Policies and Rules Main Page

317:40-5-51.Scope of Specialized Foster Care
[Revised 7-11-05]
(a) Children in OKDHS custody. A child in the custody of the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) who is determined eligible for HCBS Waiver services in accordance with OAC 317:40-1-1 is eligible to receive Specialized Foster Care (SFC) services if the special needs of the child cannot be met in a Division of Children and Family Services (DCFS) foster home.
(1) SFC provides a temporary, stable, nurturing, and safe home environment for the child while the OKDHS plans for reunification with the child's family.
(2) In the event reunification is not achievable, SFC may be provided on a long-term basis while other more permanent living arrangements are sought.
(b) Non-custody children. SFC is a temporary service provided to children who are not in the custody of OKDHS when needed to prevent institutionalization.
(1) The intent of SFC is to allow the service recipient's family relief that cannot be satisfied by the provision of respite services or other in-home supports.
(2) SFC provides a nurturing, substitute home environment for the service recipient while plans are made to reunify the family.
(3) Parents of a child receiving SFC services must comply with requirements of OAC 317:40-5-56.
(c) Adults. SFC is an appropriate living arrangement for many adults. The decision to use SFC for an adult is based on the service recipient's need for residential support as described in his or her Plan.
(1) In general, SFC is appropriate for service recipients who have not experienced family life. A child served in SFC may continue to receive services in the home indefinitely after turning 18 years of age.
(2) The service recipient who receives SFC services lives in the provider's home.

Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.