OHCA Policies and Rules

Search Entire Policy
OHCA Policies and Rules Main Page

317:35-5-44.Child/spousal support

[Revised 09-24-13] 
The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 requires the Oklahoma Department of Human Services to provide Child Support Services to certain families receiving SoonerCare benefits through the Oklahoma Child Support Services Division (OCSS). The families are required to cooperate in assignment of medical support rights. These families will not be required to cooperate with the OCSS in the assignment of child/spousal support rights. The families involved are those with a minor child(ren) in the home. The child(ren) must be related to the children's, the blind or the disabled groups and have a parent(s) absent from the home. Any support collected on behalf of these families will be paid to them as if they were receiving non-public assistance child support services, with one exception. The exception is regarding child support collected for foster care child(ren) in OKDHS temporary custody. This support is paid to OKDHS Children and Family Services Division (CFSD). The rules in OAC 317:10 are used, with the following exceptions:
(1) In the event the family already has an existing child support case, the only action required is a memo to the appropriate OCSS district office notifying them of the certification.
(2) Prior to October 1, 2013, child/spousal support is always counted as income less any applicable income disregard. This income inclusion applies whether it is redirected to the OCSS or retained by the member. Effective October 1, 2013, see rules regarding financial eligibility for the individual's eligibility group to determine whether child or spousal support is counted as income.
(3) Children who are in custody of OKDHS may be exempt from referral to OCSS. Should the pursuit of the OCSS services be determined to be detrimental to the OKDHS CFSD service plan, an exemption may be approved.

Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.