OHCA Policies and Rules

Search Entire Policy
OHCA Policies and Rules Main Page

317:30-3-65.8.Dental services

[Revised 10-01-18]
(a) At a minimum, dental services include relief of pain and infection; limited restoration of teeth and maintenance of dental health; and oral prophylaxis every 184 days. Dental care includes emergency and preventive services and therapeutic services for dental disease which, if left untreated, may become acute dental problems or may cause irreversible damage to the teeth or supporting structures. Other dental services include inpatient services in an eligible participating hospital, and amalgam composite restorations, pulpotomies, chrome steel crowns, anterior root canals, pulpectomies, band and loop space maintainers, acrylic partial and lingual arch bars; other restoration, repair and/or replacement of dental defects after the treatment plan submitted by a dentist has been authorized (refer to Oklahoma Administrative Code 317:30-5-696(3) for amount, duration and scope).(b) Dental screens should begin at the first sign of tooth eruption by the primary care provider and with each subsequent visit to determine if the member needs a referral to a dental provider. Dental examinations by a qualified dental provider should begin by age one (1)(unless otherwise indicated) and every six (6) months to one (1) year thereafter. Additionally, members should be seen for prophylaxis once every 184 days, if indicated by risk assessment. All other dental services for relief of pain and infection, restoration of teeth and maintenance of dental health should occur as the provider deems necessary.
(c) Separate payment will be made to the member's primary care provider for the application of fluoride varnish during the course of a child-health screening for members ages six (6) months to sixty (60) months. Reimbursement is limited to two applications per year by eligible providers who have attended an OHCA-approved training course related to the application of fluoride varnish.

Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.