“Baby on the way” –
One of the best ways to take care of your health when you are pregnant is to get prenatal care as early as possible and now is the time to start planning.
What is prenatal care?
Prenatal care includes medical care, education and counseling about how to handle different aspects of pregnancy. A health care provider may talk to you about topics such as healthy diet, physical activity, what to expect during delivery, and taking care of your baby.
Why do I need prenatal care?
Prenatal care can help you have a healthy baby by:
- Improving the chance your baby will be a healthy weight at birth
- Having the best possible pregnancy and delivery
- Giving your baby a healthy start in life
Prenatal care can help keep you and your baby healthy. Mothers who do not get prenatal care sometimes have babies who are more likely to have low birth weights or serious health problems than those mothers who do get prenatal care.
Health care providers can identify health problems early when they see mothers regularly during their pregnancy. Early treatment can help many problems and prevent others.
If you think you may be pregnant or know you are pregnant, contact a SoonerCare provider in your community for an appointment. If you are having any problems getting an appointment to start prenatal care, please call the SoonerCare Helpline at (800) 987-7767 or TDD (800) 757-5979.
Take care of yourself and your baby by:
- Getting regular prenatal care. Your pregnancy provider will schedule many appointments for you during your pregnancy. Try not to miss any since they are all important.
- If you are having problems getting an appointment call the SoonerCare Helpline for assistance at (800) 987-7767 or TDD (800) 757-5979.
- Follow your pregnancy provider's advice.
Other tips to a healthy pregnancy
|Stop using tobacco
||Rest when you can
||Drink six to eight glasses of water a day
|Call your doctor before taking medication not prescribed by your doctor
||Call your doctor before taking non-prescribed drugs
|Take a childbirth class
||Make healthy food choices
|Take a breastfeeding class
||Take a prenatal vitamin
|See your dentist for dental care
||Avoid fumes associated with paint and other chemicals
|Stop changing cat litter
Some helpful resources